Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, June 18, 2010

A Day 9 Years In The Making!

This past Wednesday, June 16th was an important day in our house. It marked the day my oldest son, Kenny, turned 9 as well as (of course) my 9th anniversary of motherhood. I seriously can not believe I have been a mom for 9 years! He is half way to adulthood!!! In so many ways, I still feel so new at being a mom. I swear he was just a baby last week! He has grown so fast and is an incredible kid. He is sweet and affectionate, compassionate and fun. He has a lot of spunk and energy and a little quirkiness that makes him fun and is just all around a happy kid. He loves to help and loves his younger siblings. I am proud to be his mom.

Recently, he saw part of the move Titanic on TV and read some books on the ship and has since been enthralled by it. He has just been soaking up whatever information he could find on it. So, when COSI- the local science museum- opened an exhibit on the Titanic with authentic items found on the ship, he started begging to go. It was a bit pricey, so I told him we would someday before the temporary exhibit closed. I figured no time better than a birthday, so that is what we did! In addition to me and my kids, we invited one of Kenny's friends Colton along as well as my sister and her two kids. Here was our crew, excited and ready for the day!

(Jacob, Kenny, Colton, Ellie, Meghan, Joey, Savanna)

The titanic exhibit was amazing! Photographs were not aloud during the exhibit. They had items in cases that were from the actual wreckage, as well as recreations of what the rooms would have actually looked like. They had quotes from actual passengers on the walls. Each person was given a "boarding pass" of an actual passenger and at the end, was a large wall with all passengers listed and you could see if your person lived or died. Also, did you know that the titanic is slowly being eaten away by metal eating bacteria and will cease to exist within a couple of decades? So, whatever they don't bring to the surface will be completely lost over time.

After that exhibit, we visited another temporary exhibit they have right now called "big machines." It included a lot of construction equipment that the kids were aloud to climb on and explore. They were even aloud to work the excavators with a pro there to help them! They had big buckets of dirt that the kids could scoop. Here are all the kids hard at work:




It is hard to see in the pictures, but I just love all of the looks on their faces- happiness mixed with concentration!
A big load of trouble!!!!

So, afterward, our exhausted crew came home for dinner, cake and presents. Kenny's request for dinner was Pizza and Macaroni & Cheese- not a combo I would ever put together normally, but it was his dinner, so that is what we had. When I asked what kind of cake he wanted (meaning flavor...) he said he wanted a "Garbage Truck" Cake. That is his other interest right now besides Titanic is garbage trucks. I enjoy baking and I am pretty good at making things taste good- just not look good. I had no idea how to make a garbage truck cake. So, I had Aaron draw a picture as a guide and I cut and decorated it based on his drawing. I thought it turned out pretty well! (ignore the stained cutting board- if I had known how bad it would show in the pics, I would have covered it before putting the cake on it)
And, what would a birthday be without presents??
He got some new scout uniform items and a sketch book:

And, a Titanic book all his own with 3D pop up images- very cool- kind of a big kids pop-up book.


And, his most requested item that he really really wanted:
The Toy Story 3 Lego Garbage Truck (that works when put together!!) He was sooooo excited!
And, with minimal help- had all 400+ pieces put together within a couple of hours:
Indeed, a good day for all. Sunday, we will have a Fathers Day Cookout/birthday party with our whole family. Happy Birthday, Kenny! We love you so much!!!

5 comments:

Mrs. White said...

You have a beautiful family!!

Blessings
Mrs. White

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

What a fun birthday!

Isn't it crazy how fast being a parent flies by? Before I had kids time was endless and just drug it's heals... Now not even an anchor can stop it from sailing by to quickly.

You have a lovely man. He seems just awesome!

Sara Emily said...

Happy birthday Kenny!! It was so fun to go to Cosi with you guys! I realized after I left that I never actually told him happy birthday!! I am hoping to make it Sunday!

Kelly said...

What a fun 9th birthday!! Great day with great gifts and great family!! Hope it was awesome!

Autumn said...

FUN! Its nuts to think that he's halfway to adulthood-a crazy way to look at it. Wow. Fun cake!