Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

An Old Dog Can Learn New Tricks!







1 box Borax- $4.00










1 box Arm and Hammer Washing Soda- $2.50













1 bar of ivory soap (or 1/3 bar Fels-Naptha)= <$1










1 bucket with lid= $3.00







Laundry Detergent for about 1 Cent per load...... Priceless!!!!!!!!!!


No, I am not joking. I had heard of home made laundry detergent before, but assumed it wasn't really worth it cost or time wise. I was wrong. An amazing person introduced me to this concept a few weeks ago and I had to try it out. In a family of 6, I do about 12-13 loads of laundry a WEEK! I would buy the large jugs of detergent at Sam's Club for about $20 and it would last approximately 5 weeks. That is over $200/ year on laundry detergent! I just spent $10 on these supplies and, aside from buying more bars of soap, it will last a YEAR! Each bucket works out to a cost of about 70 cents per BUCKET which does about 65 loads! That is just over 1 cent per load!!!!

Hmmmmmm....... less than $20 total for a whole YEAR or over $200 a year?!?! It wasn't hard to decide- especially since it only takes less than 10 minutes to make a bucket! Here is exactly how to do it:

Grate 1 whole bar of Ivory soap or 1/3 bar of Fels-Naptha into a sauce pan.

It will look like this:
Add 6 cups of water and heat until the soap melts. It will look like this:
Add 1/2 cup EACH of the Washing Soda and the Borax (seen in measuring cups above). Stir until dissolved:Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups HOT water into the bucket. Now add the soap mixture and stir (I use a large FREE stir stick from the hardware store).
Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups water and stir.
Put lid on and let sit for 24 hours and it will gel. When you open the bucket again stir well. It will be kind of a semi-liquid/chunky mixture- kind of like noodle soup as I have heard it described.

Use 1/2 cup per load.

That's it!!

A few observations:
-using my usual fabric softener, it comes out of the dryer smelling as good as my laundry ever did. (there are recipes for your own fabric softener too- I may do later....). If you prefer a scent to the detergent itself, you may add a couple drops of your favorite essential oil.

- it is low sudsing so it works for high efficiency washers or regular cheap washers like mine. If you open the lid during the cycle, you will notice no suds. They are not needed. It isn't suds that cleans the clothes but the components of the above ingredients.

- you can pre-treat as usual for tough stains.

Homemade dishwasher soap:
Use 1 cup EACH of the Washing Soda and Borax shown above- place in a Tupperware container and shake well. Use 2 TBSP per load. Use vinegar as a rinse agent! (No need to buy detergent or Jet Dry anymore!)

What's next? I am thinking I will start making my own household cleaners too! So much better for our systems and the environment and so much cheaper. I think I can get into this!!

8 comments:

Lauri said...

That's great, Amanda. I've never heard of this recipe. The only home made recipe I've ever made is for window cleaner and it works GREAT!

everyday katie said...

Look at you! Way to go!

Michelle said...

I might have to try that!

Kelly said...

Love that you are on board with such a cool concept!! I love that we learn new ways to save all the time!
I can't use this formula because I am allergic to Borax and Arm and Hammer is too harsh for my skin...but if there were other ingredients, I would be tempted...
Thanks for sharing!!

Autumn said...

My sisters in law have done this for a while and I've considered doing it quite a few times. I haven't made the leap. hm?

singlemormonchick said...

a great recipe for an all purpose cleaner is:
1T borax,
3T white vinegar,
2 C water,
1T dish soap
essential oils can be added for smell but I havent tried that yet.
it works well. no chemical cleaning headaches anymore!

Tiffany @ No Ordinary Homestead said...

I've always wanted to try this, but I have yet to figure out what borax is here in Germany. Booo! Thanks for sharing though...it looks really simple. Popped over from Homemaker Mondays

Stephanie said...

I'm making the laundry detergent today, Amanda!! Thanks for posting this!!