Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Substitute Me

Something I have been thinking about...

Tonight I have been preparing to leave in the morning. I will be going as an adult chaperone for Kenny's 4th grade camp. That is one neat thing about his school- all grades go to an outdoor science camp. Kindergarten is just a day long day camp, but 1st-3rd grade is one night over night. Now that he is in 4th grade, he gets to go for two nights! He is so very excited!!! Knowing that it can be difficult to find chaperones for two nights and wanting to help out with the school, I have been planning for two months to be able to go on this trip with him.

It is amazing how many people it has affected and that it takes for me to go somewhere for 3 days. My mom will come early in the morning tomorrow to drop us off at school (so she can have the van to transport my kids the rest of the day...) and then she will come back here to watch my girls all day. She will have to pick up Jacob from school, help him do homework and get them all ready for Aaron to take them for Jacob's flag football practice by 5:30. (Did I mention my mom is AWESOME?!)

Thursday and Friday, I have a different friend each day watching my girls during the day (thank you Amy and Katie!!!!!!). They will have to deal with taking my two crazy girls along while they transport kids to school.

Aaron had to adjust his work schedule this week. Normally he has Monday off and works 10 hour shifts Tues- Fri. This week, he works 10 hour shifts Mon-Wed so he can work 2- 5 hour shifts Thursday and Friday so the girls wouldn't have to spend 10+ hours at someone's house as well as having no idea how Jacob would get to school and back otherwise. So, this of course affects his office as well.

I babysit for a community choir on Wednesday morning and have another person covering for me there.

Aaron will be doing trick or treat by himself Thursday night, which means no passing out candy since I won't be here-normally I walk around with the kids and he passes out candy. (yes- us weird Ohioans rarely do trick or treat ON Halloween... this was an unintentional oversight by the school. When they planned the camp, they thought trick or treat was Friday night so the kids would be back in time. To make up for it, they said kids could pack their costumes and they will have a Halloween party at camp. Kenny is fine with this as long as his siblings collect some candy for him! I think he is too excited about camp to care to much!)

I have also spent the last to days cramming in laundry to get it done, packing, cleaning (though not near as much as I wanted/needed to- but the house will no doubt be destroyed when I come home anyway....) and making lists for Aaron with what he needs to remember.

It just makes me wish I could hire a "substitute me" for the three days. Someone who could just come in and do everything I do (well....maybe not "every" thing....;)) without inconveniencing so many people! It never fails to amaze me how many people it takes to cover for me if I need to go somewhere.

Yet, if my husband goes out of town- be it for work or pleasure- nothing really changes. Of course we miss him terribly, but otherwise, things seem to go on as pretty well normal.

Anyway, just an observation. That being said, I am REALLY looking forward to going! Despite the fact I will be in charge of a cabin full of 4th grade boys, I am excited to be able to help out and spend some one on one time with Kenny. He is such a good kid and I feel like I don't get to spend the amount of time with him that I should. These camps are always a blast (I went with both boys when they were in first grade) and it will be a great few days!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

You are a trooper for doing that! You know me- it would not be exciting for me and I would totally complain 99% of the time- IF I would even go!!
I think it is hysterical how we must juggle our time away and how much help we need to enlist too! Probably why we hardly ever get away!!
I am lining up help when this baby comes- but thankfully Dana can take off for weeks- he has over 100 days to use!
My parents, thankfully live so close too- so hopefully that is all I will need.
Have a great time!!

Amandean said...

I love one-on-one time with the kids. And why they thought trick-or-treating would be on a Friday night is beyond me. It's never on a weekend night there, is it? Like last year, wasn't it on Thursday? Oh well! Have fun!

Lauri said...

Well said! With all of the arrangements that need to be made when mom goes out of town, sometimes it's hardly worth the effort.

Jenn said...

After the many months Jon and I have been apart over the last few years, I know EXACTLY what you mean. At this point I would like to have a substitute me just long enough for her to get all the laundry and dishes done while I take a nap!!

Autumn said...

So true! You're definitely a hot commodity!