Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Blessings in Disguise

The last few weeks have been a little wild around here. Several things happened at once that was making this look like it would be a world record for our most expensive fall. And, with Christmas coming, I was a little stressed about the money flying out of here. However, we have been very blessed that it has turned out to be not as bad as I feared. In fact, in one case, it ended up being an absolute blessing from the beginning!

We had a horrible garage door- I hated it. It was wood and non-insulated. It was old and didn't work well. In fact, it was so out of whack, we could no longer use our garage door opener with it. It had to be opened and closed manually. When we did open it, we had to be sure it would open all the way because our van would barely clear it even then. We had been thinking about replacing it for some time but just simply did not have the money to do it.

A couple of weeks ago, I was rushing out the door (as usual) to get the kids to school. I was babysitting that day so I had the baby I was watching and several things in my arms. I noticed that one of the kids had opened the garage door but had not gotten it all the way up- it was hanging down several inches. I figured I would strap the baby in and unload my arms and then open the garage the rest of the way. Well, in the chaos of loading and strapping and feeling rushed, I forgot to finish opening the door. I backed out quickly and tore off the bottom 6 inches of our garage door! Here is what it looked like when I got done with it- I couldn't even close it- it was now broken and stuck open:I was so mad because now we had to replace our door and where was I going to find the money??? Someone suggested I check if it was covered under homeowners insurance. I was doubtful since it was my own stupid fault but figured it couldn't hurt to ask! Well, shockingly, it is covered!! We have a $500 deductible that would need to be covered. When the insurance adjuster came out to appraise it, he said normally, we would need to replace it with the same- meaning another wood door. But, he knew most people don't buy those now and as long as the money worked out, it didn't matter. He was such an awesome guy and declared our loss to be worth $1500. Subtract our deductible and we received a check for $1000. We had it repaired and guess what it cost.... $1000!! We got our door replaced for FREE! And, it is a way better door- double insulated steel and all! We were also so fortunate that it only took 6 days from the incident until it was replaced. Nothing ever disappeared! Our garage is behind our house and can't really be seen unless you are looking for it. For 6 days our garage was wide open and nothing went missing! Check it out the new door:

It just begs the question...... Why didn't I drive through it sooner?!?!?!

Here are some of the other things that have been going on and how it is working out better than expected....

1) We had major repairs needed in our basement. Everytime I did a washer load, the water would all come up through the drain. Thankfully, it is all cement floor- but still an unwelcome mess. We had pipes underneath our floor that needed replaced. Obviously, this would mean thousands of dollars, right? No- We are very blessed that someone in our church knows how to do this sort of repair and has done it at a FRACTION of the cost- a price more than fair. Here is what it looked like when all torn up:

I had forgotten what what a wonderful luxury it is to do laundry with a dry floor!

2) Our heater died this weekend, and Aaron was out of town. I had three days with no heat and only one space heater and it was just me here with the kids- in the house most of the time. Thankfully, it ended up being a minor issue and was fixed for a total of about $100. We are very grateful for this!

3) My cat has a bizarre open wound on his side. Not sure what caused it but it could have possibly been a scuffle with our other cat. Fearing the vet bill, I have been putting a prescription anti-biotic cream (originally prescribed when Meghan had a staph infection) and it seems to be helping- or at least not getting worse.

4) I was in a minor car accident- my fault- I rear ended someone. It was really stupid and shouldn't have happened. I wasn't paying enough attention. The guy was a jerk about it too. His car got a little scuff on it and mine got a couple thousand worth of damage (because I hit his tow-hitch) and he was whining about his little scuff. No huge blessing/breakthrough here- other than of course no one was hurt. I am going to have to shell out my $500 deductible for repairs on my van. But, I am thankful for insurance and that all of the other craziness is working out okay! It could have all been so much worse!

But, in the meantime, I am still looking for that money tree....anyone know where I might find it?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I am glad it is all working out in some way! Sad that you have to pay the $500, but at least you have insurance- so that is better, right?! SO happy for your garage and basement floor- looks like Santa will be coming to your house after all!!

Kari said...

That's awesome about the garage door, though I can only imagine how you felt when you drove through it. Looks like it's been a tough fall. Ours has been a little rough too. If you find that money tree, let me know! =)