Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Honesty is Not Dead!

In so many ways it seems, this world just gets darker and darker. I hear about all the evil that runs rampant in this world and it sometimes makes me long for the time when Christ returns and we can move on from the world as it is. Hearing the news and knowing what goes on in the world makes it easy to not trust anyone and to sometimes assume the worst. I feel that I have lost some faith in humanity over the years. However, two recent incidents have made me regain a little faith in humanity and gives me a little bit of hope.

First of all, several months ago, I went to the bank to deposit money (about $300!) in the ATM. Aaron had done a job in the garage and so the money needed deposited so we could pay for the parts he used as well as pay a couple of household bills with it. It was one of those fancy new ATM's where you deposit the cash with no envelope or anything. Well, these machines don't always work as they should and it would not accept a couple of the bills. I became very frustrated and drove off with the unaccepted bills so I could deposit them through the regular drive thru. It didn't occur to me until several MINUTES later (yes, I am blonde...) that I had not completed the deposit for the money that was accepted! I knew at least one car had already gone through that ATM. I was horrified at what I had done and KNEW the money had been taken. My thoughts centered around what I was going to do to cover the lost money. Later that day, when I calmed down a little, I thought I would call the bank on the off chance the money had been turned in. It was!! The next car went through and the machine spit my cash out at them and they turned it in! I was soooo grateful!

Then, last night, Aaron and I went to dinner and movie. We had a gift card for that particular restaurant and a movie theater. I knew I had put both gift cards in the outside pocket of my purse. But, when we went to pay for our dinner, the restaurant gift card was GONE! Not in my purse, not on the floor- we even checked the car and the ground between but never found it. I assumed the worst (considering it was tucked into the pocket and the other gift card was still there). The restaurant was packed and we had to wait 20 minutes for a table- shoulder to shoulder with the other waiting crowd. I came to the conclusion that it must have been swiped from my purse. I was so upset. In my panic, we just paid for our dinner and left. I didn't think until this morning that maybe- just maybe- the card had been dropped and someone turned it in. I figured it wouldn't hurt to call so I did. They had it- it had been turned in!! I went and picked it up! So, I am a little bummed that I paid for dinner when if I had just asked, we would have had the card back- but at least we get to go out again sometime!!

It is so reassuring to know there are still honest people in the world. I know if it had been me that had an ATM spit money out at me or to find a lost gift card, I would have turned it in- absolutely no question. But, I was so sure that most people would not that in both cases my first instinct was to assume the money was gone. I was wrong. There are still good, honest people out there! May loads of blessings and good karma fall on those people who chose to do the right thing!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Loved your stories to help restore some humanity! Grateful for good people who do the right thing - especially during these hard times! It would be hard for a lot of people to do the right thing- glad it worked out for yoU!!

Abbey said...

That is great, so glad you got all of it back. I would have turned the money in but I have to admit I once found a gift card in the Meijer parking lot thinking it was used and I kept it. When I called to check the balance it had money, so I guess I am a halfway good person:)

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

When I worked for the bank- I noticed a lot of honest people- so it helped me restore some of my faith in humanity.... but there are just so many dishonest people out there- ugg. I hate that a few yucky people ruin it for the rest of the good ones.

I'm so happy for you that good came your way! There's just another little testimony in your pocket that Heavenly Father does watch out for you!

Amandean said...

We once lost a camera in the Toys R Us in Times Square (yes, NYC), and it was returned. I was so surprised!

Autumn said...

Definitely refreshing to hear!!