Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Should I Be Mad Or Proud?

Ellen wrote her whole name for the first time- completely on her own!!

The problem?

She wrote it on Kenny's school project....

You can clearly see her capital E, two small l's a small e, an attempt at an n and then a better n!

This is a blank pizza box. Kenny received this from his teacher to do a history project on. He was doing a report on the Wyandot native Americans and each side of the box had different requirements- with the inside bottom needing "pizza slices" with different facts about the Wyandot on each one.

Luckily though- some well placed construction paper covered her work, so I think I decided to be proud of her accomplishment!

Speaking of school projects- those I speak to often know how overwhelmed I have been. I never imagined being overwhelmed by my KIDS school work. Their school gives them a lot of projects to do- which I understand is way better academically then a worksheet- but they had several due at once. This was their schedule last week:

Both boys- had the "invention convention" project due last Wednesday. This is similar to a science fair project, but they had to invent something- come up with an idea of a problem to solve and come up with an invention to solve it. They had to either make the invention or a model of it as well as do patent research and more. Here was their ideas:

Kenny- wanted to solve the problem of houses getting destroyed by tornadoes and floods. So, he invented a metal box of sorts that is installed underground around your house. When a storm is coming, you can press a button inside your house and the box comes up and covers your house. Pushing the button again lowers it back underground.

Jacob- wanted to solve the problem of not wanting to do chores, so he invented a chore-doing robot. It has a washer/dryer as a belly to wash your clothes and bendable arms. It has a pencil for doing your homework and a trash bag to put trash in.

Kenny- had to do the above described pizza box project due last Friday. Thankfully due to these projects both going on at the same time, he did not have much other homework- just the occasional math page.

Jacob- had to do a report on dinosaurs also due Friday- he chose to study the T-Rex. He had to do a POWER POINT PRESENTATION (he is in second grade) to present his information on the T-Rex. It had to be stored on a Flash Drive. And he had to do a diorama to represent a dinosaur scene of his choice. He also had his usual homework including spelling words, reading, math flash cards, and mini-math projects.

Then, before all that was over, Jacob brought home information for a new project starting this week- for Black History month, he has to research a famous black Ohioan (I think we are doing Archie Griffin) and they will be doing a "Wax Museum" style presentation.

Anyone else exhausted after reading this? I thought I would pull my hair out last week. I am stuck between gratitude that the teachers are challenging them and not just putting worksheets under their nose and frustration at feeling unable to keep up.

Add with that that Jacob just started piano lessons and Kenny is about to get braces put on (more coming on that....) and I feel like I am just treading water trying to keep my head above water. What do I do when the girls get a little older?? I think I need another me. Already, I feel like I can't keep my house clean or do half the things I feel I should be able to get done. Sigh..... I know it all works out in the end, as I said above- I am just a little overwhelmed right now!

5 comments:

Amandean said...

Don't forget that when the girls get older, so will the boys. And then they won't need as much help with their homework. But that is an awful lot of projects at the same time. And PowerPoint? In 2nd grade? I'm just dumbfounded.

Kelly said...

That is a lot of work for the boys!! I am glad mine aren't assigned huge tasks like that- I would be overwhelmed too!
Love Ellen's writing though, and you should be more proud than upset- how fun!!

mom22gifts said...

Don't try to do it all (as far as the house, laundry, etc.). Do what you can, when you can and enjoy them while you can.

itsthebaileys said...

I always try to remember that this is just a season in life. Our season is more focused on our kids than house. You are a wonderful mom!

Autumn said...

Wow girl! That's a LOT!!! Sounds like fun projects at least. I'd like to order one of each invention please. I love the pizza idea. Good job Ellen!! Awesome.