Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Appetizing....

Jacob (my 7- almost 8- year old) suffers from chronic constipation with some unpleasant side effects. Because of this, he has been on combinations of laxatives and stool softeners for nearly 3 years now. They have only been moderately helpful and I have hated the fact that the dose seems to just get higher instead of lower, trying to fix his problems. Though there has been a little improvement, the doctors have yet to find the magic button to cure him so the medications continue.

I am part of an online support group of other families that deal with this situation and recently there has been a lot of buzz about the benefits of probiotics. Many are in the same boat as we are- laxatives have only been a little helpful. Many have claimed that probiotics have turned things around for them. Willing to try anything, I asked our doctors about it who agreed it could help.

So, off I went to the vitamin store, where I found a liquid form of probiotics. I read the label and here is a portion of what it says:

"American Health's Acidophilus liquid is composed of hardy, viable balanced cultures of specially selected strains of lactobacillus cultures in a natural palatable base of pre-digested milk solids....Each serving provides 20 billion "friendly" organisms."

This is supposed to make me feel good about giving it to my child?? Despite the words "palatable" and "friendly"- it just doesn't sound good. I haven't given it to Jacob yet, but I did try it and it tastes awful- despite the natural blueberry flavoring. Hopefully he will take it okay or I can mix it into something. If not, I have discovered chewable versions on line that I can order.

Yuck.... I hope we can get past these issues soon!

4 comments:

everyday katie said...

We sometimes use a powdered probiotic when our kids are on antibiotics to balance things out. (Dr. Sant sells it in her office I think). We just sneak the powder into something they're already eating or drinking.

You're right though...doesn't sound pleasant, but they're supposed to be really good for you.

Also...the powdered sugar thing... Spencer was certain you could make homemade powdered sugar using granulated sugar and corn starch. I didn't believe him. One time about 7 or 8 years ago he tried to mix the two by hand and failed miserable. Up until now I've teased him for even thinking it was possible and I have loved hanging it over his head that I was right. Thanks a lot for ruining that one for me.

Autumn said...

Last year I heard a lot of buzz about probiotics too. I bought yogurt and a liquid/smoothie type yogurt, Kefir with probiotics. I liked it, but maybe it wasn't as natural as what you're going for!! I hope it works for you1

Amandean said...

This may sound like overkill, but I'll bet mixing it with yogurt (specifically blueberry or some other type of berry) would probably drown out the flavor.

Amandean said...

Oh, and you forgot to comment on the best part of the label: "pre-digested." I picture a mommy bird regurgitating a worm into baby bird's mouth. You know, if you really loved him, you would do that for him ;)