Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Metal Mouth!!!

I feel as if I have officially achieved a new status in parenting. That of a mother of a child with braces!!! (Not to mention I am now an extra POOR mother now too....Yikes!!!) Yesterday was Kenny's big day!!!

Hard to believe that- at the age of 9- his mouth was ready for braces. But, he has had teeth falling out of his head and big ones trying to come in for years. His mouth is a good two years ahead of schedule- and very crowded!

Before they were put in, he was SO excited- he was counting down the days and just couldn't wait. I didn't want to kill his enthusiasm but also tried to gently warn him that it wouldn't be all fun- that he may be sore in the beginning and he would have to be careful to care for them correctly, but I think he was too excited to listen.

Right after they were put on, he said he wasn't sore- though he did have trouble eating lunch just because of the awkwardness of it. At dinner time, he took a bite of food and said his teeth hurt really bad. I gave him some medication and he tried to eat more but just barely could. His eyes filled with tears and he said, "I wish I never got braces!!!" Poor guy- my heart broke for him. I did promise him though that it wouldn't hurt forever. He wore his night gear for the first time as well last night and kept it on all night- though he is very sore today. I have been giving him medicine and feeding him soft things. Breakfast was oatmeal, a smoothie for lunch and Taco soup for dinner.

I'm just hopeful that we can get his paid off before any of the other kids need them!!

4 comments:

everyday katie said...

I think he looks cute. My dad took me to get a milkshake every time I had sore teeth from orthodontist appointments. Just me and him. I think the secret to feeling better is definitely in the ice cream. It made wearing braces a little more bearable. (And a little more expensive.)

Kelly said...

He looks great!! He will get used to them shortly- just a day or two more- and yes, ice cream will make it better- I can attest to that!!

itsthebaileys said...

Poor guy! I can't get over how much older he looks with them on, though.

Jenn said...

Jon just got his off about a month ago, thankfully, but anytime he had them tightened he would call and I would make something "soft" for dinner (we had soup a lot). Kenny looks awesome and I'm sure he will appreciate the time, expense, and even the pain when he has an even more awesome smile at the end.