Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What is Your Parenting Style?

Yesterday was the first full day of spring and the only nice day all week, so I decided to take full advantage of that and took the girls to the zoo. Of course, my poor boys were stuck going to school all day while we lived it up at the zoo. But, hopefully they will forgive me with time.

It had rained earlier in the day but cleared up to become a warm early spring day with temperatures in the mid to upper 60's. We really had an awesome time together! It was so nice to hang out with my girls and soak up some fresh air.

As usual, I packed our lunches. When it was time to eat, we found a picnic table and sat down. As we ate, I enjoyed people watching and eavesdropping on conversations as people walked by. It so happens that the table we chose was near a puddle of water left by the rain earlier in the day. Of course, nearly every child who walked through there had to splash in the puddle. The differing reactions among the parents was very amusing to me.

Here are a few:

1) Some parents made a deliberate attempt to teach their child how to step over the puddle and avoid it all together

2) Some parents scolded their child for jumping in the puddle

3) Other parents laughed as they watched their child splash

4) I even saw one mom join in with her child and they splashed in the puddle together.

So, there were these kind of parents and pretty much everything in between as well. It got me thinking about how everyone parents so differently, but each with good intentions and our own ideas.

What kind of parent are you? No judgment- I am not saying any one style is right or wrong. I am just curious to hear your thoughts.

I suppose that means I need to answer as well. I wish I could be the type who joined in with my child, but I have to be honest that I don't think I would. I think I would have humored my child and let them jump a few times and then probably would have encouraged them to walk on.

Your turn... leave a comment below and tell me your thoughts!

11 comments:

mom22gifts said...

I would definitely let them splash. If I were feeling particularly carefree, I would join in. If you're out to have fun with the kids, you need to do what IS fun for the kids.

Jenn said...

I know this is going to sound a little funny, but it depends on the shoes!! :) If my kids are wearing the dress shoes and we are walking into church, I admit, I would be very unhappy. If they were wear sandals or sneakers and we were just out having fun, go ahead kids... I'll join you!

everyday katie said...

I'd like to say I was a jumper, but that's rare.

I was gonna say the same thing as Jenn. It depends on what they're wearing and where we are going.

Inconsistency is not good for kids. Oh well.

Interesting observation.

I'm not good at taking my younger two to the zoo. I it always makes me feel so bad for Parker who doesn't like school in the first place. How do your older two handle it?

Kelly said...

I say the same- depends on the situation- but I would more than likely not jump along-
I think it's fun to watch how others react to the situation though!

Abbey said...

Depending on the day, I would jump in and always let them jump in. That is why Annie always has boots:) I would like to think I am pretty laid back with my kids.

Carrie said...

Somedays I might freak out, and want them to avoid the puddle. It depends on the shoes, and what we're doing. I know both of my boys would jump, both feet, into the puddles. Oh well.

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

As long as I wasn't wearing socks with my shoes, I'm a jumper-with-er.
As long as my kids aren't dressed in their Sunday best.... I say, go for it. Let um' jump until the puddle is dry.

(although, Alli is such a persnickety gal that she HATES getting dirty, so she'd never go in a puddle... Maggie.... well, Maggie is Maggie.)

Sara Emily said...

I'm with Jenn and say it depends on what shoes they're wearing! If it doesn't matter I let them splash away. But if they are nice shoes no way! They don't wear nice shoes often tho. :) I wouldn't typically jump along. I don't like getting my feet wet!

itsthebaileys said...

So I am just a mean mom, but I am so not the jumper or letting my kids jump. Having one that is a jumper, there have been many times he has bolted to the puddle to stop just before as I am calling, "Don't even think about it!" When he has jumped. it always ends in tears of, "I'm cold, my feet are wet, etc." I do let them, in the yard, get all that suppressed jumping out.

Jake said...

Autumn here. Fun topic!! When Ellie was about 18 months, it was a parenting moment that stands out in my mind. We were leaving the library. I didn't really have a certain place I needed to be, but I was ready to go home. It was the first time that Ellie really noticed a puddle and really wanted to jump in it. I splashed a few times with her and she splashed for several minutes. Seeing how much she enjoyed it, I promised myself that I would always allow her to take a moment to splash--because I've always enjoyed it myself and clearly she did too.

She did it today too-and I was tempted too actually, but the pants...I didn't want to wash them yet!

Sometimes I splash if they're not pants I care about. Not every time.

Kari said...

I bring my kids rain boots with us all the time. If it looks like it's going to be a day or place with puddles, I just pull off their shoes and let them splash around. Depending on the day, I'll join in.