Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

What We Did on Saint Patricks Day This Year

Today when I was on Facebook, I found myself quite jealous of all the people talking about all the wonderful things they were doing to celebrate the day. It didn't help that it was a beautiful day outside and so many were out taking advantage of that. My day didn't quite go that way. I figured I would share what I did today!

First off, my plan was to have Ross and Annie over for our preschool group. I was going to do a cute St Patrick's day craft. We were going to play outside and enjoy the day as well.

Here was reality. I woke at 12:30am to the sounds of Meghan (one of my 4 year olds) throwing up. (This is after Ellie threw up so so many times yesterday...). She proceeded to throw up every 20-30 minutes for the next several hours and on and off throughout the day. The only sleep I got was from 11:30-12:30 and then on and off from 6-7:30. Ellie still wasn't feeling 100% either so both girls were content to hang out on the couch (and other then cleaning up vomit, so was I because I was exhausted!) It seemed wrong to waste such a gorgeous day, but there really was no other way around it.
Here, Meghan receives some "Dino" therapy- he cuddled next to her for quite a while and she just layed there and pet him for a long time!


But, as I thought about it, we did at least incorporate GREEN into our day in several ways, so I guess all was not lost. Here is how:

1) Thanks to the grape flavored (but blue colored) Gatorade the Ellie drank yesterday afternoon (the only thing she kept down...), I got to see a lot of GREEN poo in the toilet!

2) I got to clean vomit off of our GREEN-ish couch twice!

But, despite the way it sounds, it wasn't all bad...

3) I got to look out the window and admire the GREEN sprouts of my lillies right out my front window!! A promising sign that spring is just about here!!

4) In a last ditch effort to celebrate the day somehow with my kids, I made a GREEN dinner!

Yes- that is green eggs and green pancakes! The kids thought it was cool (though Meghan of course didn't eat and Ellie only did a few bites- Ellie said she doesn't like them green, though of course it was the same recipe with food coloring added! ha! The boys enjoyed it though!)

5) After the kids went to bed I went to the grocery store and saved a bunch of GREEN!!!



I got all of this at Kroger. It is 40 items- a retail value of $82 and I paid only $5.60 TOTAL for everything!!!

6) On the way home, I stopped at McDonald's and got a GREEN special treat for Aaron and I...

Shamrock shakes!! They were pretty good- the only thing that would have made it better was some chocolate chips!

So, though it wasn't all bad, I am definitely hoping next year is different!

Happy St Patrick's Day!!!!

5 comments:

everyday katie said...

Not chocolate chips...OREOS!

I'm sorry there was too much of the rotten kind of green on your st. patty's day. I'm hoping for your sanity, that everyone is better today.

Kelly said...

I made the same dinner, if that helps!! SO sorry the girlies are sick- hope it passes soon, and the good green stuff you did yesterday sticks around!

Abbey said...

at least you did something, I did nothing maybe I can take some ideas from you and Katie for next year. Loved how you saved some green

Autumn said...

SOO sorry Amanda!!! Blech. No fun. I have to say my friend---I totally induldged twice last week on the shamrock shakes. Its a stupid thing where I know its only there for a month and I HAVE to get it while its there. They are insanely good.

Way to save the green!!

mom22gifts said...

You know you can asked to have your shakes mixed (after 4 years of working there, you learn all of the great concoctions). The perfect shake is 3/4 chocolate 1/4 mint!