Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Birthday Fun and Camp "Fun"

Somehow I continue to be surprised every year when my kids turn another year older. I always think "Where has the time gone" or "How did they grow up so fast?!" You think I would grow used to it but I still haven't! Jacob turned 8 yesterday!!! I still just can't believe it. How can it seem like I just held this little baby boy in my arms yesterday and today he is 8?! I looked back on the pictures I have on the computer and the oldest picture I could find of him was from Christmas of 2006 when he was 3 1/2 years old. (It was about then I started filing them on the computer-and I don't have a scanner) It is surprising how much he has grown! Here he is at 3 1/2:
Isn't he just the cutest and sweetest little thing?? Here he is now:
So grown up and such a little man now!

He had a very typical but good birthday! He took cupcakes to school to share- always a highlight for kids. For dinner, he requested waffles- which sounded good to me! Then, I heard that IHOP was having a special for the whole month of April- buy one adult entree, get one free! So, we had an extra special dinner at IHOP!
Dinner was followed by cupcakes (of course... see pic above!) and presents!
More Lego sets!!!

And, his own Nintendo DSi (that I scored used on craigslist with a starwars Lego game included! We have that same game on Wii and it is his favorite!) Ellie's expression cracks me up in this picture! He also got a Phineas and Ferb game! He was verrrry happy and of course had to try out the DSi first! Apparently, so did everyone else:

Jacob is a pretty amazing kid and we are so lucky to have him in our family! He is exceptionally brilliant, loves to joke around, talented at the piano and perfectly behaved at school. He enjoys playing with his little sisters- usually pretending to be their teacher. He also loves to play with his older brother- either video games, running outside or building Legos together. Even at the age of 8, he is still my cuddle bug and is very affectionate. He has a gentle heart and is very sensitive- sometimes to the extreme, but we manage. We Love you Jacob!!!!

IN OTHER NEWS!!

Jacob also had his school camp last week, March 30-31. I went along as a chaperone. Let's just say..... IT....WAS.....COLD!!!!!! Oh my, it was unpleasant! It was near freezing temps when we got there and starting snowing almost right away. By the time they got settled, had lunch and started their first activity, it looked like this:
(Jacob is to the left, in the red and black coat with black hat trying to catch snowflakes) This was the "wilderness survival class" where they learned to build a shelter using limbs and pine needles and such. After this, the snow continued to accumulate more, so the other activities (Adventure Team and Outdoor cooking) were moved indoors. The night hike was also canceled because there was 3 inches of snow on the ground by then and an alternate activity was done instead.

The cabins were heated with bathrooms and showers, but there was still so much outside time. Our cabin was at least 1/4 mile away from the dining hall, with half of that being straight uphill! (made interesting going up and down with the snow...) They also had to wait for everyone to gather outside between activities. So, there was still just a lot of outside time and it was so bitter cold! Last year, he went about this same time and it got to 70 degrees!

The other miserable part was the other parent in the cabin with me was incredibly annoying- I won't go on about it, but basically (despite the fact she is a 5th grade teacher) had poor people skills. In a nut shell, she was not an enjoyable person to have a conversation with and she decided to get up at 5:30 am to take a shower but was unable to do it quietly, hence waking the entire cabin- no joke...Ugh....

But, despite all this Jacob had a great time! My heart just wasn't in it this time around, but I put a smile on for his benefit and got through it. It was nice to spend a couple of days with him without his siblings interrupting and getting in the way. For next year though, I am wishing for two things:
1) Better weather!
2) Aaron goes next time!

1 comment:

Autumn said...

Wow--he's grown up a lot, looks so different! Happy bday to him!