Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, April 29, 2011

V is for......



Volcano!!!!


Twice a week, my friend Abbey and I do a preschool exchange- taking turns with each other's children for a couple of hours, doing preschool activities. It has been very nice for our children to be able to do fun activities and play with friends while either me or Abbey goes and does- well, whatever we need to do! This week was my turn and we have been focusing on the letter V. So, we made a volcano! What a blast! First, I made a homemade salt-clay and colored it green (closest I had to an earth color!) Then the kids each took chunks of it and formed it around a small water bottle (which was set down in a deep Tupperware dish) to look like a mountain. Then they went outside to find grass, sticks and leaves to add to their volcano to make it look more real. I thought the finished product was perfect!
This is Annie, Meghan, Ross and Ellie

Then, using a funnel we added a few tablespoons of baking soda, a few drops of dish soap and 1/2 cup of water. I then added a few drops of yellow food coloring to 1/2 cup of vinegar (wanted to do red to make the Lava look more real, but was out of it, so I thought yellow would still look fire-ish!). Then I quickly added the vinegar to the bottle and removed the funnel quickly and WOW!!! I couldn't even remove the funnel before it just EXPLODED! The kids loved it! It was hilarious!! Here is after the explosion while it was still erupting:
As you can see from the soaking wet papers around it, it was a huge explosion originally! I was glad I put the paint shirts on the kids! It kept erupting for a while. Definitely a fun preschool project!



2 comments:

Amandean said...

You go!

Carrie H said...

That's awesome! I am going to add your idea to my list of summer fun. So much cheaper-and more educational-than the ones you buy at Hobby Lobby! Can I link this to my Favorite Finds blog on Friday?