Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, May 13, 2011

The Heat is On!

(as in the old 80's song...)

There is one thing universal to all Ohioans.... (and yes, for the record, I am born and raised...)

Ohioans LOVE to complain about the weather. I am guilty too! I really think God feels like he just can't make us happy here. It is always to hot, cold, snowy, humid, rainy, gray, dry, etc. Though it is true, probably the hardest thing about Ohio weather is the quick and constant change. That is what I like the least, how it can go from cold to hot and back to cold in a day it seems.

This past April definitely ranks as one of the worst in Ohio's history. Luckily, we didn't have any snow, but it rained....all....month....long! The news even said that all month, there were only 6 days without any rain (and they weren't in a row...) It was cold and dreary too- temps in the 50's and gray. There are problems with flooding everywhere- even worse outside Ohio- such as along the Mississippi River. May was looking like it might follow suit. The first 1 1/2 weeks gave us gray skies, cool temps and....yes...more rain!

However, this week, things finally turned around. We have had very little rain this week with bright blue skies and....gasp!.....temps in the 80's! We seem to have forgotten how to handle ourselves! We whined about it being cold and rainy and now that it is hot and dry, everyone is whining again. Knowing that temps will cool down again, I refuse to turn on the air conditioner yet. Besides I have been so sick of being cold, I am okay with being hot for a while. I try to make it until June before cranking up the air, though I have been guilty of giving in before that too. I mean, really, didn't most of us grow up without air conditioning?!?! I never had air conditioning until I had been married a couple years! (For that matter, I never had a dishwasher until then either. It was also after I married that my parents could suddenly afford "real" vacations to cool places- not camping in a tent to see historical sites as we did my whole childhood- but that is a whole other story....).

I just can't help but chuckle at all of my facebook friends saying they "gave in" and turned their air on after a day (yet complained about the cold/rain last week!) They complain about it being so "hot" in their house with it being 80 degrees INSIDE! Gasp! Well, it hit 86 in my house yesterday for a few hours, but we did not give in. In the mornings and over night, it cools off. I just have to endure those stressful hot evening hours and I know all will be well. I guess that since I know it will cool off again (tomorrow is only in the 70's and it gets cooler after that!) that I would rather save the money and the fossil fuels and hold off turning it on. Though I am human, and I will be right there with everyone else soon enough!

Let me say though, if anyone who has complained about the heat, complains next week when the high is only supposed to be 59 deg and RAINY (sounds familiar)....well, I will have something to say about that!

2 comments:

everyday katie said...

Guilty! I must be an official Ohioan.
I complain about the icy winters.
I complain about the humid summers.
I complained about the rain. Though I was happy about the cool temps. I was surprised by how cool it was, but never complaining. I'll take weather from 50-70 degrees ANY DAY!

Kelly said...

I second Katie's thoughts!
I did not, for the record, complain about the rain, only once- and I have a newborn, or else I would've suffered it out. I HATE turning the air on this early, but the humidity begs it! I grew up with air, so maybe I am a bit spoiled, and now that it's an option, I suppose I am guilty there too.
I love summer, love it, actually, but hate when we don't' even get a spring beforehand. I will not complain about heat in the summer, either- that's when it's okay to be hot!