Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Meet Lion and Tiger AND a Great Summer Day!

(So, after two depressing posts before this, enjoy a very happy one!)

A few weeks ago, we found more caterpillars in my parsley. They are attracted to it and this year has not been disappointing!! We were successful before in raising a butterfly and I posted about it, but I am posting about it this time too! Meet the two newest family members: Lion and Tiger!
As you can see, Lion is about to start his cocoon! I almost waited to long to take a picture! Within a day of taking this, Lion was in his cocoon and about a day or two later, Tiger had made his! Then, I DID forget to take a picture in the cocoon stage, but that is the most boring part anyway (at least on the outside where we can see it... I am sure the inside is fascinating!!) A couple weeks later, Lion emerged:
He was flapping all around like crazy- we didn't even get a picture after opening his cage outside before he was long gone! The next day, Tiger emerged!
He was pretty anxious to be out of there too, but I did get one quick shot when he landed briefly next to Ellie's foot (who thankfully did not accidentally squish him!)
I just think it is fascinating how this smooth green caterpillar can transform it self in this tiny cocoon to a beautiful black and colorful butterfly! It never gets old to me to witness this! Nature is truly amazing!

Today was a good day!

I was worried it would be a bad day- For some completely unknown reason, I could NOT sleep last night. I tossed and turned, finished a book and played on the internet until finally passing out at 4:45am (!) and then having to get back up at 7:45 am because Kenny had an orthodontist appointment. So, I was ready for a bad day, but it has really been great! After his appointment (which went fine), we went to my friend Autumn's house to pick fresh raspberries. She is out of town but said we could get some because they would be gone a while and did not want them to go to waste. So, I jumped at the idea of free fresh berries. The kids had a great time too!

Kenny wasn't actually too excited to pick the berries, but he humored me by picking a few for the sake of a picture! Meghan and Jacob loved picking them and they were the biggest help!

Ellie was most interested in playing on her friend's toys even though her friend wasn't there- but she did pick a few- mostly to eat them!! (there is definitely something to be said for freshly picked fruit!)

Here are the fruits of our labors!
(this is actually a pretty large container- the picture just doesn't show it)

When we got home, I was inspired to find something to do with all of the raspberries and wondered if I could make raspberry jam. I figured, why not look it up on line? The first site I looked at was educational, but also very involved using equipment I did not have nor will I have anytime soon. I was discouraged and almost said, forget that! But, I looked at one more site that had a much more simplified recipe- using only raspberries and sugar-and I could use equipment I already had at home! I decided to only make a small amount- reusing old jars- so I wouldn't have to worry about canning- I just wanted to put them in the refrigerator and use them now and if I was successful, I could venture into canning later. Well, it was so much easier (and yummier) then expected. In less than an hour, I had this:
YUM!!! (Jacob helped a lot- he was really into it!) And, we still have a few raspberries left just for eating, or smoothies or whatever!! This was so easy, I may just venture into canning jams soon- it really didn't look that hard! (and, even though I didn't use the "canning" method, the jars sealed themselves from the heat creating a vacuum! But, I still plan on using them sooner rather than later!) I was very proud of myself for trying something completely new!

We then went to an activity at the library as part of the summer reading program. The theme is "be a hero, read." The activity today was done at the library by the Columbus Museum of Art and it was geared towards ages 7-12, so I was going to drop off the boys and take the girls into the main part of the library to wait, but they said the girls could join too. I am glad they did because they all had so much fun! They made their own "super hero masks." I thought they were all really creative and fun!
Kenny even used pipe cleaners and other materials to make his own special cape:(The pics aren't the clearest because I used my cell camera which isn't the greatest...)

One the way home, we couldn't resist this:(These 59cent cones at McDonald's are going to be the death of me this summer!! And, the lady put way more ice cream on it then this picture shows!)

When Aaron got home, I got to go and get paid $35 to eat this:
I got to do a paid taste test for Wendy's! I have done them before- I usually get to do one every few months. Today, I got paid $35 cash to eat a Spicy Chicken sandwich and answer a few questions!!

Of course, add to this the normal stuff of the day- chores, feeding everyone, bathing everyone- and all this on 3 hours sleep! Just call me super mom....ha! (Gonna go crash now!!!)

I LOVE SUMMER!!!

2 comments:

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

I wanna get paid to taste things! YUm!

Josh said...

Fun! SO glad you were able to get some berries!! Thank you, glad they didn't go to waste!!