Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

An Unwelcome House Guest


Anyone who knows me knows I have bug issues. I don't handle them well-especially spiders, centipedes and anything that crunches when you kill it. I know it is dumb but I can't help it. If something is big enough, I am sometimes too freaked out to even kill it. I will sometimes trap it (like with a bucket over it or something) for Aaron to deal with when he gets home. Not all bugs all the time, but sometimes! Pathetic, I know- but, it is what it is.

So, a week ago or so, I was quite unhappy when this spider showed up in our kitchen window- between the window and the screen! Complete with a big web.

Nasty, huh? I am not even sure what he expects to catch in his web- not many bugs get into there, but then I guess he did, so maybe he is getting lucky.

Anyway.... For a few days, I just wasn't sure what to do about it. I couldn't open the window for fear he would scurry away before I could catch him. At the same time, I can hardly sit and eat dinner with this window right in front of me and him right there.... I literally get chills when he moves his legs! I turned to Aaron for help but he was no help- him and the kids thought it was way cool and were enjoying watching him.

Finally, after a few days, Aaron took pity on me and went outside and hosed down the window like crazy- aiming the hose right at our guest, destroying his web and knocking him down. After that, he seemed to be gone.

The next day, he was right back there in the same place with the web the same size. We figured he was hiding in a little hideaway in the corner of the window until he dried off. At this point, we both new it wouldn't work to open the window to try to get him- he would just scurry into this little hole. So, for another day or two (!!!!) the boys again enjoyed observing him. I kept begging Aaron to get rid of it. He sprayed the window longer and harder- right on the spider- destroying his web and everything. He seemed to be gone. Again, he has returned.

He is taunting me.

But, I now know something he doesn't. (in fact, I don't know why it took me this long to think of it...) I know about the bottle of raid underneath the sink. I know that I can go outside and spray it through the screen right at him- just like the hose. I know that his welcome has long ago worn out and that Mister Spider's taunting will end tomorrow. Tomorrow morning, he is going down!

Disclaimer.... my one reason I was hesitant to post this... I have one friend who has been dealing with Lice on her children and another who has been dealing with bed bugs. I fear they will read this and think "really?! She is complaining about a spider with what I am dealing with?" I realize this in no way compares to what they have dealt with when it comes to bugs, and I am not trying to compare. What they have dealt with has been a nightmare and my heart goes out to them and they have been in my prayers- this spider is just annoying- I just wanted to share! :)

2 comments:

Autumn said...

HAha, I love the disclaimer. Hey, if its a real fear its a real fear and thank HEAVENS you do not have the situation that poor B does!! I get a kick out of reading of your fear.

Benjamin Vogt said...

But spiders kill bad bugs! The more I have in the garden, the more I cheer!!!