Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, August 26, 2011

First Day of School/ Rain Gutter Regatta

As mentioned in the previous post, my boys started school Wednesday!!! I seriously can NOT believe how fast this summer flew by. I remember thinking when we went to their school for the meet the teacher, it didn't seem like some big grand reunion when seeing people again. It was like, "Hey, didn't I just see you?" It seemed to me like no time really had passed between the last day and now this new first day. Not that we didn't have a lot of fun because we really did (see previous post for a small example!) it just went by really fast.

I also find I really don't look forward to the kids going back to school like many parents do. Sure the house is a little quieter with half the kids in our house gone, but I really don't like the morning rush of getting up early and everyone ready and out of the house by 8:45. I also reeeaaallly hate homework. Homework seems to be a frustration to me and the kids, then there is always a rush to get dinner cooking and onto our evening activities and then bedtime. Everything just feels so rushed during the school year. Seriously, today was the 3rd day of school and both boys already have received information regarding their first projects due. Sigh.... The quieter days don't really make up for the rushed mornings and evenings to me. Besides, I find I have so much running around to do during the day, it isn't like I get much done. I like the slower pace of summer where we can get up a little later, do fun things together, hang out at home and just not have the stresses.

Anyway, enough of my whining. Jacob admitted to being excited about the first day of school. Kenny said he was not, but I know he was a little:
Kenny- 5th grade, Jacob- 3rd grade Handsome aren't they?
They wear uniforms at their school so it takes the fun out of what to wear the first day, but at least they got to wear their brand new uniforms (definitely had to get new ones after last year- they had either outgrown or stained most of them!)

Here is Jacob ready to work:
He got the same teacher as last year, which I am thrilled about! Last year for 2nd grade, he was in a split 2/3 classroom for advanced kids. Mrs. J was his teacher and Jacob did so well, he was actually working at a 3rd grade level or above most of the year. The idea is she would have him again as an advanced 3rd grader in a split class again. But, they decided to do away with the split classes so my fear was he would repeat a lot of what he already did last year since he would now be in a regular 3rd grade class. Since he has Mrs. J again (she kept all her 2nd graders from last year) she knows where they have been and where to take them. This picture shows Meghan and Ellen waiting patiently while I get Jacob settled! I seriously lost count of how many people asked if they were starting Kindergarten this year. They were all surprised to learn they are only 4. They are both as tall as any 6 year old!

After getting him settled, I went up to see Kenny. Kenny's class was already quiet and listening to their teacher with no parents around so I didn't want to interrupt. I snapped this picture from the door way. I think it is funny that most of the kids in the picture already have the bored pose going with their head rested on their fist. Kenny has Mr K this year for 5th grade. It is his first time having a male homeroom teacher so it should be interesting. He seems like a cool teacher with lots of experiences planned. I don't look forward though to helping Kenny organize his first report due at the end of September- typed and put in a clear cover with a bibliography with 3 references.... really- in 5th grade?! Especially the beginning?!

I guess it just surprises me how fast my boys are growing. It feels so strange having a 5th and 3rd grader. I still think of them as my babies- when did this happen?!

Anyway, here is to a good school year that is sure to be full of lots of physical, emotional, spiritual and academic growth! (and no doubt a little whining....from the boys too!)

Rain Gutter Regatta!!!

Another fall tradition- that always occurs right around the start of school- is the cub scout rain gutter regatta! They always do this for the August pack meeting. Each boy receives a kit containing a boat to put together. They assemble it and paint it then race them in rain gutters filled with water by blowing them across. Here are their masterpieces:

Kenny:
Jacob:

And the race is on!!!

Neither boy performed that well (our boats never seem to do that well- probably more operator error, I am sure! Ha!) but they had a blast which is all that matters. They tied for 4th place (out of 6 boys....) but they didn't seem to mind. They each won at least one race and really enjoyed painting their boats. I thought they did a great job!!!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

For the record, the Raingutter Regatta is my least favorite Cub activity- Alex never did that well either! Glad I only have one boy!!
ha ha
Love the back to school pics, and also for the record, your 4 year olds are nearly as tall as my 9 year old girl!! ha ha

Troy and Rach said...

I'm still dreading the start of school. We found out today the boys teachers, and got the ones we were hoping for with both. Ya!
This was my first Regatta, and we really enjoyed it. (This was our first cub activity though, so I'm sure that by the time I'm done with all of my boys, I'll be over it. ;))

Autumn said...

They look so grown up. Kenny look so super tall in that top photo!!