Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

This Summer's Last Hurrah!

Today, my boys started the new school year. Kenny is now in 5th grade and Jacob in 3rd. I feel so old having a son who will soon be in middle school! They just keep growing so fast and are truly wonderful boys!

We made sure to really pack in the fun before school and WOW- what a week we had! It was so very busy but oh, so much fun too! This last week, we had something going on every...single...day! We crammed in as much summer fun as we could before getting back to the grind! Here are the highlights:

This first set of pictures was actually a couple of weeks ago when we went to the Franklin Park Conservatory and saw the butterfly exhibit with some friends. A butterfly decided it liked Kenny!

Here are a lot of cute faces looking down on me from the loft above:And here are all of the beautiful little faces that made the trip with us!
It is a really neat place- it somehow manages to get kids into nature- while being inside!



Now onto this last week:

1)Last Wednesday: Zoombezi Bay! Our kids got free passes for participating in the summer reading club so we took advantage of that! It is too expensive otherwise! We had an absolute BLAST! In fact, I was too busy and too wet to really take any pictures, but I did snap this one before we left of our wet and tired family.

2) Thursday: Fair day! The town where I grew up hosts a small fair every year so we usually go- one of the few times I justify pigging out on fried fair food! The kids loved the rides!
(Did I mention it was H...O...T?!)
I got more pictures of the girls then the boys because Aaron and I split up during the day- he took the boys to the bigger kid rides and I took the girls on the smaller rides. Later, we went by the firefighters booth where all of the kids got a free tattoo!


3) Saturday: My brother-in-law, Shawn, took my boys and our nephew Joey on a fun day trip! He bought nets and took them to a creek to play and catch crawdads!
Here they are, excited and ready!!

Shawn warned us to send extra clothes because "they may get a little wet." Well, I don't think it took long for THIS to happen:
They came home happy and excited as can be- each with their own pet crawdads! Yay...... (note the lack of enthusiasm....). The boys put them in little containers when they got home. Kenny had two and Jacob had 1. The current count: 2 dead and 1 missing. Yes, missing! I was not too happy. We noticed it gone Monday night and still have no idea where it is. I am reeeaaaalllly hoping my cats or dog enjoyed a nice treat. Otherwise, I don't look forward to smelling/finding it (I am assuming it is dead- I don't think they can live long outside of the water...). But, regardless, it was a great day for them and I am so thankful to Shawn for spending time with them!

MEANWHILE- while the boys were away playing in the water, I took the girls to a birthday party for their friend, Zachary! They had so much fun. They did several games, had treats, and played in a fun backyard! Here is one of the games- they had to wrap each other up with toilet paper like a caterpillar in a cocoon and then burst out and fly like a butterfly!
Here is Andrew wrapping Ellie-



And Meghan wrapping Rachel!


4) Sunday: Jacob had his second piano recital- this one was outdoors at an ice cream parlor!

Of course, Jacob did an excellent job! Here is a 30 second snippet of one of his songs (I can NOT seem to remember my camera anywhere lately, so this is what I caught on my phone....sorry you have to rotate your head...or your computer...to see it straight!)

video

Rain was threatening all around us the whole time! It often sprinkled as the students performed, but the keyboard was under an over-hang so we were hopeful to get through them all. During the last student's first song, the skies unloaded and it started pouring! We all made a mad dash into the ice cream shop as the piano teacher and others worked to get the keyboard in quickly to save it from the rain! I felt so bad for that student- she did an excellent job and was very talented!

So, of course, after a great performance, we had to have some ice cream!

5) Monday: This was a not-so-fun day where we did nothing all day but shop for school shoes and clothes! But, that night, they did get to see their classrooms and meet their teachers and...again... enjoy ice cream at the school!

6) Tuesday: After an afternoon of playing with friends at the park, the kids spent a low-key evening preparing for school the next day. I am sure they were exhausted after the week we had! Apparently, there was an earthquake on this Tuesday (8/23) in Washington DC at 1:50pm. Many in Ohio felt it- we were at the park then and we felt nothing! So, I still have no idea what an earthquake really feels like! Not that that is totally a BAD thing....but I am a little curious!

I will stop writing here, but will be back soon with pictures from the first day of school!!!!

2 comments:

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

Wow! You HAVE been a busy girl! Keep those fun pictures coming!


*P.s. I'm really not ignoring that e-mail, I've just been trying to think of themes. I am still hoping I can come up with something un-lame. :D

Lauri said...

Fun family memories!