Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Life Happens

I can not believe it has been nearly a month since my last post.  But, the title of this post explains exactly why I haven't been around.

Life happens!

Wow- this past month has been wild!  I feel like a few events have completely taken over my life.  Here is what I have been up to that have prevented me from blogging.

1) School starting.  This has really thrown me for a loop this year.  I was simply not ready to send them back.  I had a bad feeling that this year was going to be rough on Kenny and that has proven to be true.  Fifth grade has been really tough on him.
       The Good-  Now that he is in 5th grade, he gets the opportunity to be on safety patrol!  He loves it!  I
           have been excited for him as well.  I knew it would be a good opportunity to have responsibility and
           to feel valued.  He has also just started playing Trombone in the 5th grade band.  It is important to
           me that my kids are exposed to music and experience the wonderful learning opportunities                        involved. Right now he is at 5th grade camp!  Normally, I go with him but Aaron went as a
          chaperone this year.  I am excited that Aaron gets to experience it this year and that he and Kenny
          will get to spend good quality time together.

     The Bad-  Academically, he is struggling to keep up.  5th grade has been very demanding.  He has a
          hard time focusing and homework takes him most of the evening to do!  Also, I have discovered that
          the school does not have a time set aside for band- the kids get pulled out of class for 30 min a day
          twice a week.  They recommend to take this into consideration when deciding to allow your kids to
           play.  I think this is crazy- music is such a great outlet and kids can learn so much- it shouldn't be
          reserved for those who are "quick" enough to handle it all.  One of Kenny's teachers is looking into
          having one of the class times switched so they don't miss the same class twice. I believe the
         opportunity should be open to all- no matter what their situation. 

     The Ugly-  Maybe because of all of this stress or because he has officially reached the "tween" age,
          he has acted out in ways he never did before.  Yikes-  not liking this tween stuff so far.  What
          happened to my baby boy??  He really is a truly sweet good boy and I am so proud to be his mom-
          he does so much good that makes me so proud and I hate to see him struggle at all.  


2) The Twin Sale!!   This is the huge consignment sale that the twins club I am in does twice a year.  I have not sold for several sales, but decided to sell this time.  It was overwhelming and time consuming to go through all of my stuff and get it organized.  I did make just over $200, though!  And that was just random clothing- mostly priced around $1 and some toys and such.  Thankfully, that is over for now- at least until the spring sale!  I actually got my check in the mail today so me and the kids celebrated (since Aaron and Kenny are at camp) by going to Max and Erma's!! The rest of the money will go toward mattresses we will need for the girls new twin beds! They take up the entire length of their toddler beds. Seriously,  when did this happen?!

3) Julie's Baby Shower!!!  My sister is expecting her first child and we are so excited for her!  Unless something happens sooner, she will have a c-section on November 8th!  We had a shower for her on Saturday and it was beautiful and went so well!  It was a cumulative effort of several people and had a large turn out.  I hope to be able to do a separate post with pictures soon.  (I did not take my camera but my mom did.)


4)  Preschool! We started our preschool group!  Tuesday and Thursday mornings, the girls go to preschool, either at my house or one of the other moms in our group.  This way my girls get the benefits of going to preschool without me having to pay $200+ a month!  We are using the book "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" as our curriculum, along with other learning activities and lots of fun!

5) Other randomness:  So many other things that have sucked up my time:  trying to learn how to be a scout leader (I am now involved with the cub scouts at church), choir babysitting, my band, rec center classes for the girls, keeping up with laundry and gathering winter clothes for kids, cooking food (these people just seem to want to keep eating every few hours....)

I feel like I have not had time to breathe!  So many things I feel have been neglected that I feel I should be doing, such as:

1) cleaning house..... oh my, am I behind.  I dream of a tidy uncluttered living space..... who has time?!  As a "stay-at-home" mom, it would be kind of nice to actually be at home once in a while....

2) blogging- not only have a not had time to do posts, but I haven't read anyone's blogs either.  I miss reading what everyone is up to and hope to have more time to now that some of the above have settled. It also doesn't help that, despite everything being crazy, everything seems mundane too and I just don't feel I have much interesting to write.  Seriously, I am sure my readers are all asleep by now and have not made it this far. 

3) couponing- I have been so overwhelmed with everything that I have not been able to search out the deals and clip coupons.  I really enjoy using coupons and saving money.  Lately (probably because of extreme couponers) the deals have not been as good and I have been strapped for time but I am hoping to recommit to it this month- I have to keep cutting my grocery bill!!

4) sleep- I am lucky to get to bed before 1 am but yet have to keep getting up by 7.  Six hours may be enough for some, but I have always required more sleep and I start to fall apart after extended periods of time with reduced sleep.  I am reaching that point.


Hopefully things will calm now that the boys are getting settled in school, the twin sale and the shower are over and I can get settled into a routine.  Hopefully it also means I will be writing more!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Wowzers! Wish I was around to help out! Still, sounds like for the most part things are good, just busy. (I feel for you and Kenny, Rachael and I struggle getting all the homework done and I've been down the tween road with Harrison. Hang in there, some things get easier just long enough for another change, but it's great to see the progress with each battle you overcome together!)

Autumn said...

Crazy busy!!! I was so ready to go to bed 2 hours ago but am waiting for someone to fall asleep. I feel your pain--6 hours is NOT enough for me either!! I hope life slows down for you soon! It was nice of you to come to Zville on top of all your busyness-it was so fun to be with a friend when Jake was gone. Thanks!!

Kelly said...

Busy is just beginning, right?! I feel your pain-
hope October is better for you!!