Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Something Scary in the Air....

Tis the season for little dressing up and having fun!

Our little preschool group was no exception.

Myself and two other moms participate together in a home preschool co-op.    We generally make our own curriculum but we do teach them reading lessons from the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons."  We also do counting activities, art projects, games and lots of play time! We usually do this on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and we take turns hosting it at each of our homes.This week was my turn.  We were going to have a Halloween party yesterday but Ellie was sick.  Thankfully she felt much better today so we had our party today!!  What fun the kids had!  It was a little extra crazy- with about 3 kids more than usual- two kids that I was babysitting for the day and the younger sibling of one of the boys in the group.  But, it was nice to have a big group of kids to really enjoy the fun together.

We first did our reading lesson and then followed that with a fun painting activity!  We painted paper plates to look like pumpkins and then we stuck triangles and circles on it to make the features:
Starting from the left and going around the circle:  Annie, Meghan, Ellie, Hayden, Clark and Ashlyn.
Dominic-  he sat doing this for a long time.  When I asked if he was done, he adamantly said "No! I gotta paint!"
 

Here was the final result!
 
I love how creative they all were and each did their own thing!

We then read a fun Halloween book and rolled out cookies to eat later for a snack!

 (I love how I caught this just as one two-year-old was trying to snatch a cookie cutter from the other two-year-old. )

We then put on our costumes just as the mommies came and we did a spider race and then went on a costume parade down our street!







Meghan is a doctor, Ashlyn and Ellie are princesses, Clark and Hayden are Captain America, Annie is Snow white and Dominic is wondering around- not interested in stopping long enough for a picture (I had put him in a m&m costume, but he promptly ripped it off!)





After our walk, they were pretty hungry, so we had lunch and decorated our cookies and then Abbey, (Annie's mom) made these awesome treat bags for us- including coupons for free frosties from Wendy's!!  Thank you Abbey!


In Other Related News:

The boys had "harvest parties" at school today.  I knew it would be interesting because they usually wear costumes and get candy and all of the normal Halloween stuff.  This year, they decided that no unhealthy snacks can be given.  I understand the health reasons as well as in fairness to those with food allergies, but I still just don't see anything wrong with occasional treats.  So, I think it is silly, but I know healthy is always good.  I wondered how parties would be now.  In fact, Jacob's teacher sent home a note that said, "No costumes and no unhealthy treats."  I couldn't help but think "Really?! What's the point?"  Usually he brings home a treat bag full of candy.  Today I had to laugh when I saw his treat bag:

  
Sure, most of this stuff is healthier then candy but..... well, some of it isn't THAT much better.  And I had to laugh at the random broccoli florets Jacob stuck in there among everything else!  I don't know why I found it so funny, but I did.  And Kenny's class was a little different too.  The teacher was not sure what to do about the "healthy treats only" thing so he left it to the parents.  A grandparent offered to bring in pizza if parents contributed a couple dollars- the principal approved it.  So....cupcakes and candy aren't okay but pizza is? Whatever....  I was happy to contribute. So his class had pizza and watched a movie. 

In Other, Other Related News:

Jacob had a haunted piano recital today at a near by coffee shop.  The kids were all supposed to dress up, so it was a trial run for the real deal Monday night.




The boys are mummies and the girls are wearing the SAME princess dress they have worn the last two years.  I am not really complaining because I bought the dresses used for $1 each- but it is getting embarrassing because they are really tattered!  The boys costumes are made from a sheet I tore into strips that I bought from the thrift store.  They looked really cool, but by the time we got there, they were (obviously) already falling off so I will need to revise how I wrap them.

As usual, Jacob did a GREAT job playing!!! He is so very talented and I am so proud of him!!


And here is Jacob with his piano teacher with Christine.  He just loves her and she really is great with the kids!  Jacob's talent has just blossomed since she started teaching him.



So, that is just the beginning of a fun busy weekend!  More to come....

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Missed you at Trick or Trunk!!
Happy Halloween!!