Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Best of Times

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." or so says the opening line of A Tale of Two Cities.  I have not read this book before, but started reading it a few weeks ago when my neighbor suggested we start a book club of the classics.  Considering I have not read many classics, I thought it was a great idea.  However, 3 weeks later and 60 pages in...I am not sure I can do it.  I am finding it very difficult to read- maybe I have read "fluff" for so long, that I was just not prepared for the language. It is a challenge for sure.

However, I love this opening line and it got me thinking.  So many times, twin parents (singleton parents also) will talk about how tough a certain stage is.  Inevitably, another parent will say, "Oh, just wait till such-and-such age and it will definitely be better/worse."  If a parent should complain about the cost of diapers, another parent will inevitably say "Oh, that is nothing compared to the cost of extra-curriculars."  If a parent complains about a screaming toddler, someone will say, "Oh, just wait till they are teenagers and you will want to scream."  And so on. 

Well, I think I have figured out when is the best time to be a parent of twins.  I believe my girls have reached that stage- age 5!  Here is why having 5 year old twins is awesome:

--Two words- no diapers.

--they sleep all night, unless they are sick.  If they have to go potty during the night, they get up and go!

--they can buckle themselves into their seat belts.

--they are each other's best friend and entertain each other very well.  This right here is definitely a benefit to having twins. 

--they can sit and feed themselves. 

--when we go somewhere, there is no need to struggle with a double stroller and remembering to pack a diaper bag.  They walk everywhere now.  It makes it so nice on days like today when I can decide on a whim to go to the zoo (on a rare 60 degree day in January).  We just went! No need to pack anything!




(these pictures include Ellen and Meghan, and also their friend Annie who came with us!)

--Along with that, they are young enough to still lay down for an afternoon rest time if they (or I) need it, but old enough that I am not chained to my house in the afternoon. If we need or want to do something in the afternoon, we can!

--when walking across a parking lot, I will hold their hands but otherwise don't have to worry to much about them staying close.  It is not like they are toddlers and will dart across the road unexpected causing extra stress, as it did this day.

--They are old enough for lots of dramatic play, sophisticated lego building and are learning how to read, yet they are still young and innocent enough to play like young children.  They are a joy to watch play.

--Similar to this, they are old enough to have a conversation with but young enough to have that childhood innocence in their words.

--they are old enough to tell me what is wrong and where it hurts,  but young enough to cuddle into my arms and let me hold them.

Here are some more thoughts as to why now is the perfect age- as opposed to the future.

--this time next year, they will be in school.  I will then have 4 children in school.  4 kid with homework to complete and the added chaos.

--with them being in school, they will no longer be home with me.  While I am sure I will come to enjoy the peace, I can't imagine what it will be like to not have them here with me.  I didn't imagine the time would come this fast that all of my children would be in school. 

--as they get older, they will have more extra-curricular activities.  It is already hard to manage the boys and their activities.  I can't imagine doubling it. 

--Teenage drama will be sure to kill me.  Especially with two girls the same age, in the same grade at school.  Boyfriend drama will surely be interesting.  We already had a preview of that when Ellie's "boyfriend" Hayden (from our home preschool group) declared he liked Meghan instead, Ellie was broken-hearted.


Now, don't take this wrong.  I love watching my children grow and I know I will enjoy something about each stage.  I love to see them grow and develop and mature.  As I have told other parents, I believe that there are positives and negatives to every age and stage.   Sure, when they were up crying and needing fed all....night...long, it was hard.  But I LOVED being a mother to those sweet newborns and holding them.   And, just as they will surely have difficult times as teenagers, I will be PROUD to be their mother and will love seeing them grow.  I have just been reflecting recently about how easy of a stage this is so far- for us anyway, the easiest stage so far.  So, to all of you multiples parents out there who's babies are still little- take heart and know that it REALLY does get better.  For all of you with older children than me, I would love to hear from you about what you have learned!!!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

That was a great read! I was just at that stage 10 months ago!! ha ha
Fun times are ahead and you are right, good times behind you- what a blessing to be a mom!

Abbey said...

Loved this it was great, the pictures were great. I am feeling the same way as you right now.