Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Time....

Well, packing is in full swing, leaving little time for blogging- and for once I have so much to write about!  For example, Jacob's health update I have been promising (nothing big, just something I want to record) as well as documenting my long awaited FABULOUS trip to Nebraska a couple weekends ago.  Hopefully those will come soon. But, with our big move only 1 1/2 weeks away (June 23rd), things are a bit hectic.

The thought I find most on my mind right now is the contradiction of relative time that is going on within me.  Time seems to both drag and race all at the same time.  Is that even possible?!  On one hand, I find myself thinking, "Ugh....it's ONLY Wednesday?  This weeks is DRAGGING"  But then I look around my house and see how far BEHIND I am in packing, I start to panic and think "Ack!  1 1/2 weeks is coming too fast!"    I think that time seems to drag because I am excited about the move, not enjoying packing, and anxious.  But then it seems to fly because....well... the 23rd is pretty darn close and there is so much to do!  I feel overwhelmed by what needs to be done!  Several friends have offered help, yet I haven't taken them up on it because, despite my large list, I am not sure what to have them do- if that makes any sense.... (though I definitely am planning on a girls night after we move out to have them help paint this house!  As well as another girls night at the new house to see the new place!)

But, I do find I have a love/ hate relationship with packing.  Here is what I hate about it:  It takes soooo long.  Each area I pack takes longer than I think it will.  And we have soooo much stuff crammed in this little house! I also feel that I need to focus on it for long periods of time, but life won't let me do that.  Despite the fact that I have a whole house to pack, life just keeps right on chugging away.  Jacob is in cub scout day camp all week this week from 9-4- every day.  It is an hour round trip each way to drop off and pick up.  There is cleaning and cooking to do, bills to pay, groceries to buy, laundry to do, phone calls to make (I LIVED on the phone Monday setting up utilities and such in the new house...), kids to care for, places to go, doctors appointments and on and on. Not to mention Kenny's 11th birthday this Saturday the 16th- and a party with the family on Sunday to celebrate.   It may not seem so bad if I could just forget everything else and just pack.  (which is what I did last time we moved- 11 years ago- when our apartment was 1/2 the size of our current house and I had no kids).  Of course, many have reminded me that it isn't like we HAVE to be out by a certain date due to new owners or renters moving in.  This is true, but I want to move as much as I can because we will still need to come back and paint and do a few repairs so it would be nice to have moving DONE. And, even though it isn't too far, I still don't want to spend all that gas going back and forth more than necessary.  Plus, we do want to find renters ASAP which means we need to get the house ready ASAP to be presentable.  Also, I HATE it when you go to help someone move and they aren't even packed.  I refuse to be that person and will have this house as packed as I can get it when our friends come to help.  And anything that is NOT packed- they will not have to move it.  So that is good motivation right there to get me moving!

But there are some positives.  I LOVE the liberating feeling that comes with the purging of stuff I am doing along side packing!  I am getting rid of SO much clutter that we just don't need!  It feels SO good!  With each area I pack, I typically have at least 3 boxes.  One for trash, one for donations and one (or more) to pack the area.  I love picking something up and making sure it goes in one of those boxes.  There is a little guilt over the level of trash I am throwing out, but I think the recycle and donation piles have been bigger (at least, not including the broken furniture pile that is collecting on my curb....).  It feels good to know that we are taking (almost...) only what we will use and will start fresh without clutter and, with more space, a little more hope at organization.  I do enjoy looking at an area when I am done that was once cluttered chaos and is now clear.  (today, that was the girls' closet).  The thought has occurred to me that whether moving or not, I should "pretend" I am moving every 10 years- box things up, get rid of broken/ not needed items and then unpack things back into order.  Of course, if you suggest this idea in 10 years, I will probably laugh in your face but....  at least we are starting fresh (sort of) now. 


So, we close this Friday, the 15th and do our big move the 23rd.  Aaron's uncle (who lives in the town) suggested we get the kids into the VBS at their church that goes all next week from 9-12 as a way for the kids to get to know other kids in the area. My first thought was there was no way I could devote that much time going back and forth when there is still so much to do.  But then the more I thought about it, it would really be a good way for the kids to meet other kids there and get to know them before school starts- especially since one of our big motivators in moving is for my boys to have more friendship opportunities.  Plus, I figure it could be beneficial too.  Aaron and I can pack the van with several boxes the night before, then I can drop all 4 of them off at VBS and then have that time to unload those boxes at the new house, situate things, run an errand if needed, then go back and get them and go back home and pack more!  So yes, it will be nuts, but beneficial I think too. 

So, as I sit here, I am excited, anxious, nervous, happy, completely overwhelmed, thoroughly exhausted, thoughts racing and so much more.  I look forward to things being settled and more relaxed.  I am so very grateful for the blessings that have led us to this point.  No matter how tough moving gets, we are just so thrilled to BE moving!

No comments: