Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, June 15, 2012

What a Crazy, Busy, Emotionally Charged Day!

We knew going into the day that it would be crazy and exhausting with lots of emotions.  And it was!

We got up early and left to drop Jacob off at day camp- the last day finally.  From there, we drove to pick up an item we bought from Craigslist and then went to a beautiful-but very hard- funeral.  Our Stake President's wife passed away last weekend, very suddenly and tragically.  To explain what I mean by who she is:  a branch of our church is called a "ward."  A group of 8-10 wards is called a "Stake" and covers a large geographic area. The president of the Stake is in charge of watching over the whole area.  So, this is a very well-known family here.  We knew them personally from when we were in the same ward they are in about 12 years ago and got to know them from that.  Being that her husband is now the stake president, we have been able to keep up with them.  She died in a car accident and this whole stake is in shock and her family is completely devastated.  She has 5 children ranging from teens to twenties.  Her funeral was beautiful-with so many people there and not a dry eye in the room.  They said such beautiful things about her.  What stood out to me was her devotion to her family and continuous quiet service (which I know her well enough to know that is absolutely true).  Things of the world didn't matter to her- she loved her family and that was her work- she was devoted to raising them, being there for them and serving God.  As I sat there and listened, it occurred to me that those are the things I want said about me when I go. She is my inspiration.  I feel that the work we do for God and for our families is way more important than any grand career or other pursuits.  Not that those things are bad at all, because they are not, it was just a good reminder that we have such a short time on Earth and we really have to consider what matters most to us and how we want to be remembered.  Like her, I want to be remembered for my devotion to my family and God.  To me, that would be a successful life.    It was so sad to say good-bye to her and to see her heartbroken family.  Her time came way to soon.  But, I also know that she will see her family again and be with them forever.  While we cry here, the heavens rejoice at the angel that returned home to them.

After the funeral, (we actually had to leave a little early because it ran over), we took the kids to my friends house for the afternoon while Aaron and I went to close on the new house!  It is officially ours and we get the keys this weekend!  Everything went so smooth with closing and it is all settled!  It was nice to finally meet the sellers face to face.  The woman was very emotional- this house has been in her family for 40-some years and she teared up several times.  She had said she would not sell to just anyone and I now know from what she said that in the negotiations, it really helped that she recognized our family name and knew Aaron's uncle.  Things wouldn't have gone so well for us otherwise.  She made me promise to take care of her house and their neighbors.  I promised we would absolutely do our best. I also told her what a blessing this house is to us and why- as a way to comfort her that the right family will be in their home.  Talking to her about why they decided to put the house on the market when they did confirms that everything just lined up perfectly for us to get this house when we did.  It was a true blessing for us both.  So, now the crazy week of moving begins! Wow!!

So, after we left there, we came home so Aaron could get his car so he could go on to his doctors appointment and I could get the kids.  I picked them up, then we drove back to get Jacob from day camp.  I came home and fed them a quick dinner (and admittedly dozed on the couch for 15 min while they ate) and then we were out the door again!  The young women at the church hosted a "parents night out" so I dropped the kids off there and met up with Aaron for dinner to celebrate the day!  We logged 130 miles on the car (and the furthest distance to any one location was only 20 miles, which tells how much back and forth we really did!!!) We are home now for the night and truly exhausted but happy, excited and nervous about our new venture. 

1 comment:

Erika's Site said...

All I could think about was the Meldrum family last Sunday. So unexpected. So sad!

You had a busy day! Holy smokes. I'd need a nap! Then again, you are used to 4 kids!