Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Skool Iz Kool!!

We had a wide range of emotions over the summer in regards to the quickly approaching new year of school.

 The boys of course, were just grateful to have the previous year behind them.  Though, as the new year approached, they were excited to be a part of their new school. 

Ellie was excited as could be to go to Kindergarten.  She spent the summer excitedly counting down. 

Meghan spent the early part of the summer insisting she was NOT going on the first day.  After that, maybe but for that first day- she was surely NOT going.  When I went to register them in early August, she asked me to ask the principal if there were any bullies because if there was, she was NOT going (I guess this is what had been worrying her- she had heard about her brothers struggling with bullies in their old school).  I came home and assured her that the principal said they do not accept bullying.  From that time on, she was excited! 

But what about me?!  Sure a part of me was excited for their new adventure.  But really, I was so sad.  The past 11 1/2 years of my life has centered around caring for children during the day (longer than that if you include the day care years...)- and now suddenly they would all be gone all day?!  I spent the summer worrying about what I do with myself all day and making plans.  (to see how THAT has turned out- see the next post...)  I was sad knowing that my babies were officially no longer babies.  I just couldn't believe that the time had come this quickly for all of my children to be in school.



But, despite the excitement, the fear, the happiness and the sadness- the big day arrived!

Thankfully, the first day went off without a hitch!  The kids woke excited and quickly dressed.  I made them pancakes for their first day- packed FOUR (!!) lunches, did the girls hair and then it was out the door for the annual pictures.  It was nearly impossible to get them all to stand still and smile at me because they were excited!



I love all the expressions so I had to post them all!  And here they are, just outside the school-




And here are my sweet baby girls on their first day of Kindergarten!!!




They LOVE their teacher and their classroom.  There were no tears (from them anyway...) as they went into class and I left.  Mrs O is definitely making Kindergarten fun for them!
 

 

As I walked away, I felt my eyes well up and my throat constrict.  I knew I was so close to just breaking down and was doing all I could to hold it in.  Aaron (who took the morning off to come along) asked if I was okay and I just meekly said yes and hoped he wouldn't say anymore.  You see, if I am on the verge of crying and someone notices and says something, there is no more holding it in- I will break down.  So, I walked and took several deep breaths willing myself not to cry and willing Aaron and anyone passing us to not say anything to me or it would be over and tears would flow.  Thankfully, I made it through. 

So, I can not believe I have...


a 6th grader! (Kenneth)


a 4th grader! (Jacob)


and TWO KINDERGARTENERS!!

 
Ellen


 
Meghan


So, I am happy to report, that so far the year is going well for everyone!  Kenneth is doing well in all his classes, staying focused well enough despite a lower dose of medication and he is showing signs of making friends.  The school has received a copy of his 504 plan from the old school and will, of course, honor his necessary accomodations.  He just started playing trombone in the 2nd year band and is showing interest in learning the drum also and may join the 1st year band to learn that- and thus do BOTH bands so he can learn both!  I am proud of him! He is doing safety patrol again also and thrives on the opportunity to help and protect others!  I love how he is getting himself involved!

Jacob is making friends and doing well with all of his classes as well.  He just started the talented and gifted program this week also and loves it.  He is my reader- having read several books on his own over the summer.

The girls love Kindergarten and both are doing well in the work and making friends and adjusting to the routine.  They are very tired at the end of the day but they don't seem to mind too much!

I did get my first call from the principal though.  And I mean first call EVER.  I had never gotten a call from the principal at the old school either! And even more shocking, it was because Ellie was in trouble- the one I LEAST expected!  She is very sweet and gentle and is a people pleaser like me- she can't stand the idea of being in trouble or someone not liking her and it really upsets her and she will often go out of her way to do things right.  But, this day, she was in the bathroom with another girl.  This girl wanted to see the bracelet Ellie was wearing but didn't ask first- just grabbed her wrist.  Ellie thought she was trying to take it and jerked her hand back.  The girl got mad and teased her and called her names so Ellie pushed her- causing her head to hit the paper towel dispenser and get a bump.  So, both girls got sent to the office.  Considering the situation, the other girl got in trouble for teasing (the principal really does take bullying seriously!) and Ellie just had to miss a recess since she did it in reaction to being teased. We just talked to her about appropriately showing her anger without hurting someone.  She was mortified over being in trouble and just sobbed in the principals office for a long time.  I was surprised as well because she had talked about this girl as a friend.  But, by the next day at soccer practice (they are on the same team...) they were friends again!  The girl gave her a picture saying sorry and they played together during the whole practice! Silly girls...

(as a funny side note, I had posted on FB that we had gotten the first call ever from the principal and asked everyone to guess who it was that got in trouble, getting the "honor" of being that first call.  Most of those responding said Meghan being that she is the more ornery one! Poor Meghan!  Funny though....)

I am so happy that we are off to such a great start!!!