Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

New Year, New Focus?! And Birthday Fun....


I seriously debated whether or not to try to keep this blog going this year.  I have now kept this blog for about 5 years and I have loved it.  When I first started 5 years ago, blogging was huge among many of my friends- it was the latest trend.  I enjoyed reading theirs and eventually decided it would be a good thing for me to do as well.  For the first couple of years, everyone in my circle blogged regularly and we would read each others blogs daily. It was a fun way to connect, see a glimpse into each others lives and record our own thoughts as well.  But, as with all trends, it began to fade.  More and more of them stopped blogging, especially as the Facebook craze caught hold.  Now, only a few update their blogs regularly and even fewer read them, including mine.  Not to mention my posts just haven't been very exciting- mostly just a travel log of what we are up to.  But, it is something I have enjoyed and have been proud of.  I printed a book with all of my posts from the first 3 years and soon will do so again for the next 2 years after that. 

So, this got me wondering if I should keep it up, or go ahead and let it slide.  Honestly, I just don't have much to write about, which is my biggest reason for not writing much anymore.  As my kids get bigger, they give me less material to write about!  But, ultimately, I don't want to give it up. I am no good at journaling otherwise so this is my best chance at a record to pass along.  My plan is to look up some journal writing prompts and write from there.  And, who knows, maybe some interesting writing topics will come along!  I will also probably just sometimes write my opinion on things.  There is so much going on in the world and everyone is so divided.  For those, I probably won't link them to Facebook, because I don't want to argue with those who disagree- I simply want to have a place to get thoughts out of my head.

So, to start out the year, I thought I should record some goals I have for the year.  There are so many things I want to work on.  This may be too many, but I will do my best!

1) Improved health.  I need to lose some serious weight.  I have gained to my biggest weight this year and that is so depressing.  I have been up and down and up again and I just can't believe I got here again.  I don't have a specific weight loss goal, but I did rejoin Weight Watchers.  My plan is to focus on eating better and gradually adding in more activity.  I am starting slow in hopes that by working up to things, it will keep me from burning out or stressing about it.  I don't care if I am never a "perfect size"- seriously, that is not important to me.  But, I do want to be healthy- to have more energy, not be horribly over weight, and to not become diabetic or have high blood pressure or other such problems I am likely to get if I don't get things under control.  I have been so fortunate that, despite my weight, I am very healthy!  I do not have high cholestrol, high blood pressure and no signs of diabetes.  I want to keep it that way.  And I want to model good health for my children as well.  It has been two weeks and I am off to a good start- I am down 9 pounds so far!

2) Gratitude.  I want to always show gratitude.  One way I am doing this is to be better at writing thank you notes as well as teaching my kids the importance of it as well.  For the first time, after Christmas, they wrote thank you notes for everyone who gave them a gift.

3) Blog once a week- either from a journaling prompt, my opinion about current events, or life in our family.

4) Develop a firm plan for reducing debt and carry it out.

5) Put together 72 hour kits for all of us.  I think being prepared is important and I have been taught this all my life. Yet, I only have a mediocre food storage- it probably wouldn't get us further than a couple of weeks at best- and a semi- decent water storage.  I know where this world is going and I know we have been warned.  I don't want to say "I wish I had done this...." 

6) Print at least 2 years worth of pictures and put in albums (I am about 4 years behind!!)

So, the year is off to a good start!  Life is good and we are enjoying our new home.  Our renters are paying their rent on time every month and not causing any troubles, so we have been able to keep up on both homes.  We are blessed and happy.

As with all years now, the year started off with two birthdays!!!! I seriously can't believe my BABIES are 6!!!   It is such a blessing to see them grow- they are amazing girls!  It makes me sad though only because I really miss having a baby around.  It is so hard to believe that we are done with the baby stage. It really went so fast and I miss it.  I honestly didn't realize when the girls were babies that they would be my last. I know that sounds crazy, but in my heart, I felt then that there was to be another one.  Well, there was another one but I never got to hold her. I wasn't ready to be done holding babies and it sometimes makes my heart ache.  But, I have 4 beautiful children that are growing so fast and are just plain amazing!  I am so lucky to be their mom! They are all so smart and talented and a true joy!

Ellen and Meghan had a wonderful birthday!! As usual, we celebrated on their birthday with just us, and then had a party with the family over the weekend. 


 
Here is the birthday girls on their birthday!

For dinner, I made what they requested. Of course, since there is two birthdays, I had to be willing to cook two dinners.  Ellie wanted her all time favorite- Meatloaf!  (Seriously, how many 6 year old's favorite food is meatloaf?!) Meghan wanted Mac and cheese and hotdogs! (At least that one is easy!)




After dinner is cake....

 

...and presents!!  They got princess Barbies, a Barbie car, "Tangled" dolls and their Daisy Girl Scout tunics!

The following Saturday, our family came for dinner!  And so of course....


...we had more cake! (I love Savanna's expression in this one! The hat just makes it perfect!)



Even Baby Claire got to enjoy the cake!

And this time, I was even prepared with some games and activities for the kids.  We decorated party hats, wrapped each other up in crepe paper, and.....became Skittle vacuums!









 

The idea here was to have skittles on a plate and use a straw to pick them up and drop into a cup.  They got to eat however many they "vacuumed" up! It was a riot and a good time was had by all.

Here is to a great year in 2013!

1 comment:

Kari said...

Oh, happy birthday to your girls!