Always Crazy, Always Fun, Always Love

Ray Romano once compared life with twins to living in a frat house. As he put it, "no one sleeps, there is a lot of noise and a lot of throwing up." I find this very true with 4 young children, including twins. However, though things are always crazy, we always try to have fun and, most certainly, always love each other.

Friday, May 24, 2013

My Olympic Athletes

It seems to be a tradition for many schools to have a "field day" where they play games outside all day near the end of the school year.  Our school is no different, except that it is Olympic themed.... and apparently, quite the big deal!  It has been going on for decades and is looked forward to every year.  It started last week with a "Junior Olympics Preliminaries."  Events included long jump, soft ball throw, hurdles (kid sized), dashes, jump rope and runs. They could try any and all and times and distances were recorded.  It was very hot out that day, and I was substituting (I officially started a couple weeks ago, finally!  More on that soon.....) and so was outside all day with the kids.  I came home hot and sunburned.

Today was the Olympic finals, where each kid could choose two events to compete in to try and win 1st, 2nd or 3rd place.  I went again today and spent the day outside but, well......., this time it wasn't so hot out. After several hot days, today got up to 55 degrees (at best!) with only occasional sun and constant wind.  BRRRR!  But, it didn't stop the kids from having fun.  I enjoyed watching my kids compete!!!

Kenny participated in the long jump (not pictured) and soft ball throw.  He did great!


Jacob chose jump rope (not pictured) and long jump!  He ran so hard!



Meghan competed in the softball throw and the runs (basically a longer dash....)

She is pulling ahead here!!!




And finally, Ellen competed in the dashes (not pictured) and runs.

She was flying!!!


The only down side was lots of waiting between events.  They had several events going at one time, but it still took a while and lots of waiting to cycle everyone through all the events.  These times were brutal because of the chilly air and wind.  This is how the time waiting was generally spent....


Cuddled up together trying to get a break from the wind!


Here is the girls with one of their classmates.

But, when it came time for awards, it all paid off!  Ellie got 1st place in the dashes!!! (I missed the awarding of it because I went home during their lunch and didn't make it back in time, but here she shows it off!)




And then, for the runs, Ellie got 2nd place and Meghan got 1st place!!!  I was so proud of them both!  They ran their little hearts out and were really very fast!  They even had podiums to give them their awards on.  Due to the nature of the day and that they are 6, I didn't get a great picture.  It happened very fast, but here is the best I got....

This one would be okay except that Meghan isn't looking forward.

This one is good except that Ellie had already jumped down!

And then the moment was passed, so that was the best I could get!

The boys didn't win an award, but I was proud of them anyway for working hard and doing their best.  The kids in their grade are very competitive and athletic, so I was proud of my boys for holding their own around them.

So, all in all, it was a lot of fun.  I was proud of them all and it was fun to see the girls so excited about their awards.  (though I think Ellie learned a little lesson about sportsmanship.  I think she was teasing another girl that she had gotten an award and this other girl didn't. Of course, it hurt the girls feelings who said she didn't want to be Ellie's friend anymore.  This made Ellie sad and she realized what she did wrong.  She apologized and we talked about being a good sportsman.  Some of us have to learn the hard way, I guess.)

Instead of coming home hot, sweaty and sunburned, we came home chilled (I could NOT get warm the rest of the evening) and wind burnt!! All of our cheeks are flushed and red.  There was very little sun, so it must have been the constant wind!

I don't know who forgot to turn on the heat outside today.  I mean, BRRRRR- it is May 24th- Memorial Day weekend, for heaven sakes!!  And the weekend will be a little warmer, but still much cooler then the traditionally hot, pool opening weekend we usually have.

I tell you, Ohio gets more and more bi-polar every year!

1 comment:

Natsu Uaganda said...

Get Hourly profit for 200 hours on every hour without any risk and without any work, best business plans ever
AllTimeProfit.com